By law we are not allowed to use the name of the anti-wrinkle products so we have to call them Brand A and Brand B. This is why we have to call it ‘anti-wrinkle injections’ rather than using Brand names that everyone recognised. Frustrating, I know!
Brand A is the most recognisable anti-wrinkle product in the world and it is a common household name.
Which brand is the best?
Personally I have tried both products. Brand B starts to work quicker and I feel it lasts longer so this makes it my personal favourite.
Do they work the same?
Both brands work in the same way- both are anti-wrinkle products. Brand B spreads a little further than Brand A so I love using it on the forehead.
Permanent double chin fat removal / treatment - how does it work?The double chin injections contain an acid, found naturally in the body, and helps absorb fat in food. The product is injected into the fat in the double chin area and permanently destroys the fat cells by a process known as adipocytolysis. Once the fat cells have been destroyed they cannot store fat again. Imagine your fat cells are balloons and double chin injections are darts. Injecting the product under the chin is like throwing a dart at fat cells. Once they have been popped they cannot be blown up again.
10 key things you need to know about permanent double chin treatment at Cityskin in Melbourne and SydneyWe will cover each of these points in more detail below, but the burning questions that you need answering are:
- What is the name of the product? - The product has different names in the USA and Australia but it is essentially the same product. Frustratingly, we are not allowed to mention the name of the product on the website due to Australian law. We have to call it 'double chin injections' instead of using the actual brand name.
- Are double chin injections painful? - We are now using local anaesthetic to numb the double chin area before treatment. This means that, after injecting local anaesthetic, you will barely feel the double chin injections. After injection the area can feel firm and a little tender but patients often use panadol and ice to reduce this discomfort.
- Are double chin injections safe? - Yes. It is a non surgical treatment with an acceptable side effect profile.
- Does the product permanently remove double chin fat? Yes - double chin injections permanently destroys double chin fat. Once the fat cells have been destroyed they will never return.
- Am I guaranteed to see results? - 68.2% of patients noticed at least a 1 grade or more improvement in the fullness of their double chin area (see scale below) and 16% of patients noticed a 2 grade or more improvement in double chin fullness.
- How many vials do I need to treat my double chin? - The average patient needs at least 2 vials injected into the double chin fat at each treatment.
- How many treatments will I need? - We recommend at least 2 treatments of at least 2 vials to see results.
- How much do double chin injections / fat dissolving injections cost? - At Cityskin clinics in Melbourne, Adelaide & Sydney the cost is $600 per vial. Mr Koppert at Cityskin Kew charges $625 per vial.
- Will I see results straight away? - No, it takes up to 6 weeks for you to notice the effects. We treat patients at 6 week intervals.
- What are the main side effects of double chin injections? - We expect swelling around the treatment area on the day. We like swelling because it means the treatment is working. In fact, we say please call us if it does not swell! Swelling means that the body is destroying fat cells. This also means we recommend icing the skin and resting at home after treatment rather than going back to work.
Lessons learn from 6 months of treating patients with double chin injectionshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf9jfnQslrs
How many vials am I likely to need for my treatment?This is one of the most common questions that we are asked by patients enquiring about double chin injections. The photo above shows the how large an area 1 vial, 2 vials and 3 vials can treat. You can do the 'pinch test' in-front of the mirror to estimate how many vials you might need. The fullness under the chin that we can treat is where you can pinch a little finger's width of fat between your finger. 1 vial of double chin injections will approximately treat the area of a 50 cent coin. A small number of patients fall into this category. 2 vials of double chin injections is approximately the same area as a packet of chewing gum. Most patients fall into this category. 3 vials of double chin injections is approximately the same width as a Myki or credit card.
A video explaining how many vials of double chin treatment you may needAt Cityskin we have made a video guide to help you estimate how many vials you may need. Use this as an estimate before your appointment. https://youtu.be/nLCo2ZUrsF8
Cityskin patient double chin treatment photosThe photo below shows 3 Cityskin patients having double chin treatment at Cityskin in Melbourne. The first 2 models had 2 vials of product and the third model had vial of double chin product. The photos below show the patient before treatment and 6 weeks after her first treatment. Already you can see a reduction in the double chin and we expect to see more improvement over the next few weeks. Please note that results can vary.
Cityskin model patient 1: 2 vials, 2 treatmentsThis is the first model patient that we treated at Cityskin. She has had 2 vials in 2 seperate treatments. Treatments were 6 weeks apart. The double chin has reduced and it is no longer visible on the front-on view. The patient was delighted with this result. Please note that results can vary.
Cityskin model patient 2: 2 vials and only 1 treatmentThis is our second model and results are shown 6 weeks after 1 treatment.
Cityskin patient 3: 1 vial, 1 treatmentThe patient below has had 1 treatment with 1 vial to achieve a reduction in sub-mental fat. Photos were taken 6 weeks after the first treatment
Cityskin patient 4: 1 vial, 1 treatmentThis patient's photos were taken 6 weeks after 1 vial of double chin treatment. She will have a further 2 treatments to reduce the double chin further.
Cityskin patient 5: Photos taken 6 weeks after treatment with 2 vials
Patient 6: 1 treatment with 1 vialThis patient had very minimal submental fullness so we elected to treat with just 1 vial of double chin injections. Photos were taken 6 weeks after treatment and show a reduced double chin.
Patient 7: 1 treatment with 1 vialThis patient is in her 20s and had 1 treatment with 1 vial. She will have a second treatment but it shows the results that can be achieved with only one treatment.
How much do double chin injections / fat dissolving injections cost at Cityskin?
- At Cityskin clinics in Melbourne and Sydney (except Kew) we charge $600 for each vial of product*.
- *Mr Koppert in Kew charges $625 per vial of product.
- We recommend using at least 2 vials of product at each appointment, so the cost at each treatment will be from $1200*.
- We recommend at least 2 treatments to see the best results so the overall cost of your treatment will be from $2400*.
- Please be aware that this is a guide and you may need 3 vials per treatment if you have a larger double chin.
|Number of vials of product||Cost|
How do I book a free consultation?Book an appointment at Cityskin using the link below. We offer this permanent double chin treatment in the following
Double chin treatment at CityskinOur model, Emma, gives her experience of having double chin treatment at Cityskin. Emma is 26 and was keen to reduce the fullness under her chin. The treatment took approximately 2 minutes once the local anaesthetic has taken effect. Watch Emma's initial consultation and treatment below. https://youtu.be/1WWixCqgq28
A guide to permanent double chin treatment by Dr Jonathan Brown at Cityskinhttps://youtu.be/AW1bsRI6_lA
Which patients are best suited for treatment?The treatment guide below shows a grading scale for double chin fat, also known as 'sub-mental fat'. It ranges from 0 (no localised sub-mental fat) to 4 (extreme submental convexity). The ideal patient for would be someone who is a '2' or '3' on sub-mental scale, so someone with moderate to severe sub-mental fullness.
Who is not suitable for double chin injections?
- If you have no sub-mental fat ('0' on the scale above') then double chin injections is not suitable for you.
- If you have a lot of loose skin under the chin then double chin injections may not be effective.
- If you have an active infection of the skin under the chin then you cannot have treatment.
How are double chin treatment performed? What happens on the day? Watch Dr Brown treating a patient in the video belowIn this video, Dr Brown performs a double chin treatment at Cityskin. ****Please note that we have changed our technique and can offer local anaesthetic before treatment rather than numbing gel and ice*** https://youtu.be/BQhCIDz-MLc To treat submental fat with we place a non permanent template on the skin (see photo above) and apply water. This leaves small dots on the skin as a guide for where to inject. Local anaesthetic can be injected to make the area numb. The treatment requires approximately 20 small injections into the dots provided above.
How do I book a free consultation?Book an appointment at Cityskin using the link below.
How many treatments do you need?
Related treatments at CityskinCityskin is an award winning clinic offering anti-wrinkle and dermal filler treatment at from $4 per per unit with medical experts.
What are the side effects of double chin injections?The vast majority of side effects from double chin injection treatment are mild and not permanent. Studies show that with each treatment side effects occur less frequently and to a lesser degree. The most common side effect we see after treatment are as follows: Swelling around the area injected - We expect to see swelling. It means the treatment is working! In fact, we say please call us if it does not swell. We recommend not going back to work on the day of treatment and using ice on the neck intermittently in the hours after treatment. Temporary numbness under the chin. Approximately 50% of patients will feel this slight numbness after treatment, with symptoms wearing off after 30 days on average. Warmth and redness - 40% of patients will feel warmth or redness under the chin on the day of treatment. Firmess under the chin - Studies show that 16% of patients will feel firmness or 'induration' under the skin after treatment. This is not a worrying symptom and resolves, on average, after 51 days according to studies. Rarer side effects such as temporary problems with weak smile and facial muscles and trouble swallowing (2%) have been reported. The risk of affecting the smile is due to the small chance of temporarily affecting the marginal branch of the facial nerve. The anatomy of the nerves in the face differs from person to person and in 2% of treatments a small branch of the facial nerve can be affected. This would present as a temporary problem with the smile muscle (see image below). The affected side would be more difficult to perform a full smile. The problem is temporary and the average time to resolve is 44 days.
How much swelling occurs after treatment?The photo below shows the swelling that occurred 20 minutes after double chin injections at Cityskin. The patient received 2 vials of product and 3ml of local anaesthetic. The amount of swelling that occurs can vary but this is a good representation of how much swelling you will see with 2 vials.
A video showing the swelling after double chin injectionsThe video below shows a patient who has had 2 vials of double chin treatment at Cityskin clinic. The video and pictures were taken before and then 20 minutes after treatment. https://youtu.be/HtGPYT4cmf8
Are double chin injections painful?A number of small injections using tiny needles are made into the double chin area. We use local anaesthetic to numb the double chin area before injection. This means that when we treat the area with the double chin injections you can barely feel it. After an hour or so, when the local anaesthetic wears off, it can feel fuller under the chin and you may feel a slight ache. We recommend using panadol and icing the area to reduce the discomfort. Remember not to leave the ice on the skin for more than 10 seconds at a time to reduce the risk of a cold burn.
How effective are double chin injections?The website 'Realself.com' allows patients to give a thumbs up or thumbs down for the treatment. 88% of patients having having the treatment gave it a 'thumbs up'.
Are double chin injections safe in pregnancy and breastfeeding?We do not recommend double chin treatment in pregnancy or when breastfeeding.
When are double chin injections available in Australia?Double chin treatment has been available in Australia since March 2017. Book a free consultation here.
Where do you have clinics?We offer double chin injections at clinics across Melbourne in Sydney & Adelaide. The table below shows which practitioners offer double chin treatments. [supsystic-tables id='3']
How do I book an appointment?
What are the long term side effects of treatment?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z06J4tgTxcs
Dermal filler treatment | Cityskin Melbourne, Sydney & AdelaideDermal fillers help to replace this lost volume and thereby giving the face a more youthful appearance. Fillers last between 6-24 months depending on the dermal filler used and the amount injected but can vary from person to person. Cityskin uses the more expensive filler containing lidocaine, a local anaesthetic which makes the procedure less uncomfortable.
How does dermal filler work?The way I like to describe dermal filler is using the analogy of a valley with a river running through it. Imagine we are placing dermal filler under the river bed to lift up the valley to make it almost flat. It is now no longer a valley but now a flat plain. If you imagine that deep lines on the face is like a valley - we place dermal filler under the skin to lift up the skin and reduce the appearance of the lines. When injected under the skin, dermal fillers attract water and over the next few days will swell slightly. This produces a lifting effect and in this way dermal filler looks better in the days after injection. Over time, dermal filler is broken down naturally by the body.
What does dermal filler look like?
Dermal fillers are clear and feel gelatinous. They vary from thin dermal fillers which flow easily from the tip of the needle to thicker fillers which are firmer. Generally speaking the thicker the dermal filler the longer it lasts and the more lift it provides. We have to be careful to place thicker dermal fillers deep under the skin to avoid causing small lumps and bumps.Thicker dermal fillers are more often used in cheeks, marionette lines, chins and in the jowl area. Thinner fillers are more often used to treat fine lines around the mouth and in the lips where we want a nice, smooth spread of the filler without overfilling. The video below shows Dr Brown showing 1ml of filler in a vial.
Dermal filler treatments available at CityskinWe offer a wide range of dermal filler treatments at Cityskin - some of which you may not have heard of before. Click on the links below to read about these treatments. [wp_show_posts id="4754"]
How much dermal filler will I need?The amount of dermal filler that you may need depends on the degree of volume loss or depth of the line that we are treating. As a general guide we use the following amounts of dermal filler:
- Nasolabial folds - 1.0ml
- Marionette lines - 1.0 - 2.0ml
- Cheek enhancement - 1.0 - 3.0ml
- Lip enhancement - 1.0ml
- Temples - 2.0ml
- Chin - 1.0ml
Dermal filler and anti-wrinkle treatment for full facial rejuvenationA combination of dermal filler and anti-wrinkle treatment can be used to rejuvenate the face. We often talk about 'decade dosing' to fully rejuvenate the face- 3ml in your 30's, 4ml in your 40's, 5ml in your 50's and 6ml in your 60's. Have a read all about full facial rejuvenation here.
Are dermal fillers painful?Dermal fillers contain local anaesthetic which numbs the area that is being injected. Some areas of the face are more sensitive such as the middle of the lip. At Cityskin we use the more expensive dermal filler containing lidocaine- a local anaesthetic which can reduce discomfort.
How long do dermal fillers last?Dermal fillers last between 6 and 24 months. In areas of the face where there is more movement dermal filler can wear off quicker. We choose the correct dermal filler for your treatment based on how much of a volumising effect you are looking to achieve. The more volumising, longer lasting fillers are generally not used in areas where there is a lot of movement, for example the lips. Longer lasting dermal fillers are firmer and better placed in areas such as the cheeks and marionette area.
How much does dermal fillers costAt Cityskin we charge from $650 - $880 for 1ml of dermal filler depending on the clinic that you attend. Have a read of our dermal filler cost page to find out more about all treatment prices. Have a read of our costs page for a full breakdown. We do not use collagen or permanent dermal fillers at Cityskin as we feel that they are not safe.
Are dermal fillers permanent?No - unlike collagen injections, the dermal filler that we use at Cityskin can be dissolved using a special enzyme.
What does dermal filler looks like?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ1r-fJFNdE
What is the difference between dermal filler and anti-wrinkle injections?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOz4M2K3srY
Dermal filler before/after photos - Cityskin patients
Cheek, tear trough and marionette dermal fillerIn the photo below our patient has had 1.0ml of dermal filler to each cheek and 0.5ml to each marionette line. This has lifted the cheeks, reduced the appearance of the tear trough, giving a rejuvenated appearance Our second patient, in her late 50s has again had 1ml dermal filler to each cheek. This has restored volume to the cheeks whilst keeping a natural look. You can also see that our patient has had anti-wrinkle treatment to the frown and forehead to reduce the lines.
Nasolabial fold before /after photosOur patient is in his early 30s and wanted to reduce the appearance of the nasolabial folds. Dermal filler has been used in threads to the area to soften the shadow of the nasolabial fold. The dermal filler will last approximately 1 year.
Lip dermal filler before/after photosLip dermal filler can restore volume to the lips but can also improve lip proportions. The patient in the photo below has been treated by Mr Erik Koppert at Cityskin Hawthorn. She has had dermal filler to the upper and lower lips but you can see that, by placing more filler in the lower lip it has restored a lovely upper to lower lip balance. Our second patient is in her 20s and has good lip proportion before treatment. She noticed that her lipstick cracked and the lips felt dry. We have treated with 1.6ml of dermal filler over 2 sessions to give fullness to the lips. She has a lovely lip ratio (upper : lower lip size) so we did not need to treat this.
What are the risks of dermal filler treatment?The main risks of dermal filler include:
- Bruising at the time of treatment
- Swelling afterwards
- Puffiness in the area of treatment. The tear trough area (under the eyes) is the highest risk area of this
- Blue-ish discolouration if dermal filler is injected too superficially - known as the 'Tyndall effect'
Cityskin - experts in safe dermal filler treatmentWe are highly trained in safe dermal filler treatment and will discuss risks of treatment with you on the day. Watch our video below to see Dr Brown talking about dermal filler risks. https://youtu.be/vieMY07CmwI
Cityskin - anti-wrinkle experts in Melbourne, Sydney & AdelaideAt Cityskin we are passionate about giving you the best possible results from your treatment. We are open and honest about the cost of treatment, how many units you may need and how the treatment is likely to look. We love providing as much information for you as possible so you are fully informed about anti-wrinkle treatments before your consultation. If you have any questions about treatment then please contact us and we will get back to you with an answer. By law, we are not allowed to use the real names of the products so we have to call them 'anti-wrinkle injections' rather than use the brand names. Frustrating, but we have to abide by Australian law!
How do anti-wrinkle injections work?When anti-wrinkle injections are performed we place a small amount of anti-wrinkle product into the muscle. This product prevents the nerve from telling the muscle to contract (see diagram below).
How long does it take for anti-wrinkle injections to work?It takes between 5 and 12 days for the anti-wrinkle product to take effect so results are not instant. The "European" brand of anti-wrinkle product generally works quicker than the "American brand" (the most commonly known anti-wrinkle brand in the world).
Anti-wrinkle treatments available at CityskinWe offer a wide range of anti-wrinkle treatments at Cityskin - some of which you may not have heard of before. Click on the links below to read about these treatments. [wp_show_posts id="4753"]
How long do anti-wrinkle treatments last?Anti-wrinkle products are made of a protein which is broken down naturally by the body. Ideally the effects of anti-wrinkle injections should last 3-4 months but it can vary depending on the strength of the muscle (the stronger the muscle the more anti-wrinkle 'units' that you need) and how quickly your body breaks down the product.
How safe are anti-wrinkle injections?Anti-wrinkle injections have been used to treat patients for over 20 years. There are no known long term side effects from having treatment.
Dr Brown from Cityskin discusses how anti-wrinkle treatment reduces lineshttps://youtu.be/HJZZ3niezpQ
What is an anti-wrinkle 'unit'?You may have come across the term 'anti-wrinkle units' when searching in Google or talking to friends. A 'unit' is simply a measure of anti-wrinkle product. We know that certain amounts of units work to reduce muscle movement in certain areas. If you have never had treatment before and would like to read all about 'units' then click here.
How many 'units' do I need to treat my lines?A female face generally needs:
- 20-25 units to treat the frown muscles
- 5-10 units to the forehead
- 6-12 units each side to the crows feet.
- 2 units to treat 'bunny lines' around the nose
- 2 units each side to treat a gummy smile
- 50 -60 units in total to treat tooth grinding (bruxism)
- 50 -60 units in total for facial slimming treatment
How much do anti-wrinkle injections cost?Anti-wrinkle injections cost from $4 per unit at Cityskin, depending on the brand used. For more details have a look at our cost page.
Where do wrinkles commonly form?
Repeated contraction of muscles forms wrinkles. This is inevitable. In Australia, where the UV light is strong, we commonly see lines around the eyes. These are known as 'crows feet'. By wearing sunglasses you can reduce squinting and slow the onset of crows feet
A video showing how to treat crows feethttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFlafSkTBAA
Frown lines or the '11' mark are the lines inbetween the eyebrows. It is normal to have these lines when frowning but some people have these lines when at rest. If you have strong frown lines at rest you may feel that you look angry. Anti-wrinkle injections can safely and easily treat these lines and the effects last for up to 4 months. Read our full guide to frown line treatment here.
A video showing how to treat frown lineshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFHxrtW88QE
Forehead lines are common as we age. These lines are caused by the use of the forehead muscle 'frontalis'. If you look in the mirror and lift the eyebrows you can see frontalis in action, lifting the eyebrows. Read our full guide to forehead line treatment here.
Upper lip/smokers linesLines around the upper lips generally start to appear when a patient is over 40. As the skin loses elasticity, muscle tone and collagen small lines can start to appear around the lips. Smoking can rapidly accelerate the formation of these lines due to repeat pursing of the lips when smoking a cigarette There are a number of ways to treat upper lip lines. Anti-wrinkle injections can be used to soften these lines (4 small injections of 0.5 units in each injection point). We often use dermal filler to help give the upper lip area more support and less prone to wrinkling.
Facial slimming and tooth grinding (bruxism)Anti-wrinkle injections can be used to treat tooth grinding and to slim the face. Have a read of our facial slimming and bruxism (tooth grinding) treatment guides.
What is the difference between anti-wrinkle injections and dermal filler?We often get asked what the difference is between anti-wrinkle injections and dermal filler, as this topic causes some confusion. Anti-wrinkle injections prevent muscle movement and in doing so reduce lines. Dermal filler is a gelatinous product which is injected under the skin to replace lost volume. Dermal filler can ‘plump’ up the skin. Imagine the skin being like a circus tent with poles to hold it up and keep it taut. As we age the canopy of the tent becomes looser and we lose volume which allows the skin to become saggier. When we inject dermal filler it is like putting extra poles up to lift the canopy of the tent up to make it taut again. The other way of looking at dermal filler is that it treats shadows on face. As we age we lose collagen and volume and this can cause shadows going down from the corner of the mouth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOz4M2K3srY
Which is the best anti-wrinkle brand?There are 2 main brands of anti-wrinkle product in Australia. Dr Brown discusses which brand is best in this short video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLg1aD3Rzc4
Having anti-wrinkle injections for the first time. Have some concerns? Read on...If you have never had anti-wrinkle injections or dermal filler before then there are undoubtably going to be anxieties and concerns. Common concerns and questions that patients ask are: 1. I don’t want to look ‘frozen’ 2. I want to have natural looking results 3. I’m not sure about the clinic reputation and the person performing the treatment. 4. Is it painful? 5. How common is a droopy eyelid after treatment? 6. How do patients feel after treatment? 7. How much do treatments cost? 8. Anti-wrinkle myths - what can I do after treatment? We will address all these concerns one by one to help you understand more about the treatment and our views on how your treatment should look.
1. I don’t want to look ‘frozen’The frozen look often looks terrible. There was a vogue about 10 years ago when anti-wrinkle treatments were fairly new where patients had lots of treatment to the forehead to stop forehead lines. The lines were reduced but it gave a shiny, frozen look. I’m sure you can name a few celebrity examples of the frozen look and it doesn’t look good at all. The way to prevent having the frozen look is to do one of two things: i) don’t place any anti-wrinkle injections in the forehead, or ii) If you are going to treat then use very small amounts. I (Dr Brown) have my forehead treated to reduce the fine lines and nobody would guess because the nurse uses very small amounts when treating me. Read about how to avoid the frozen look here.
2. I want to have natural resultsTime and time again we hear that patients want to have natural results. There is sometimes stigma around having cosmetic treatments and often patients don’t want their friends, family or sometimes even partner to know that they have had treatment. Natural looks are easy to achieve and it is the skill of the injecting medical expert to understand where to place the injections to give the natural result. At Cityskin we performed a survey of 50 patients to see how they felt and looked before and after treatment. The most common words to describe how people felt and looked before treatment were, “Tired, wrinkly, stressed and worried”. After treatment the most common words that patients used to describe themselves were, “Fresh, resfreshed, great and youthful”. When asked what compliments they received after treatment, the most popular words were, “Well, young, good, refreshed, relaxed and amazing”. Not once did the word ‘frozen’ or ‘un-natural’ come up. We want you to feel more confident about yourself without people guessing that you have had treatment. For us, that is a great result.
3. I’m not sure about the clinic reputationTrust is a huge factor in deciding where to have your treatment performed. The cosmetic industry can be slightly murky with websites often not showing before/after photos, not discussing costs and not disclosing information about themselves. We feel that open-ness, transparency and care before AND after your treatment are vital and we make this our priority. At Cityskin clinic we treat over 1500 people per year. We are full open about the cost we charge for treatment (see the ‘cost’ page for prices) and do not charge a consultation fee. You can contact us before the treatment to ask any question (click on the ‘contact us’ link at the top). Education is important and we train Doctors and Nurses in cosmetic treatments. You can read all about our medical specialists and watch educational videos on different treatments. Feedback is important as it allows you to read about the experience of other patients. Have a read of patients reviews here.
4. How painful are anti-wrinkle injections?21 patients who had never had anti-wrinkle injections before were questioned on how painful they thought the procedure would be. Patients were asked to give the discomfort a score out of 10 before the treatment and again afterwards. Patients were treated in either crows feet, forehead or frown lines (glabella). Ice was used to numb the skin before injection and 31g needles were used for treatment Results: The average pain score before treatment was 5.48 and the average after treatment was 3.90 Conclusion: The results show that, for patients having anti-wrinkle injections for the first time,injections are less painful than patients expected. When I had treatment for the first time that was my major concern. The treatment really isn’t as uncomfortable as you might think. We performed a study of 21 patients that had never had treatment before. They were asked how painful they thought the procedure would be and then had anti-wrinkle injections. Patients were asked to give the discomfort a score out of 10 before the treatment and again afterwards. Patients were treated in either crows feet, forehead or frown lines (glabella). Ice was used to numb the skin before injection and 31g needles were used for treatment Results: The average ‘expected’ pain was 5.48 out of 10 and the average ‘actual’ was 3.90 showing that injection are significantly less painful than patients expected.
5. How common is a droopy eyelid after anti-wrinkle injections?Thankfully a heavy eyelid, known as a ptosis, is incredibly rare after anti-wrinkle injections. We quote a 1 in 7,000 chance of a temporary heavy eyelid after treatment. If a heavy eyelid occurred it would last approximately 2 weeks and have no long term side effects. Eyedrops can be used during the 2 weeks of heaviness until the effect wear off. Our expert medical injectors have years of training and are extremely careful when treating the brow to avoid eyelid heaviness.
6. How do patients feel before and after anti-wrinkle treatments?We asked 50 Cityskin patients how they felt before and after anti-wrinkle injections – below is a summary of the words that they used to describe how they feel. The answered are shown in the word clouds below – the larger the word the more often it is given as a response
Use a word, or words, to describe how you looked BEFORE your anti-wrinkle treatment
Use a word of words to describe how you felt AFTER treatment
7. How much do treatments cost?We charge from $4 for anti-wrinkle injections. It can be very confusing when trying to explain how much treatments cost as we are not allowed, by law, to use brand names.
8. Common anti-wrinkle mythsThere are a lot of myths surrounding anti-wrinkle injections without much good evidence to support in. In 6 years of injecting experience these are the most common questions I get asked about anti-wrinkle injection aftercare:
Can I do exercise after anti-wrinkle injections?Yes. To be honest, in 5 years of performing cosmetic injections I have never seen any problems with people exercising after injections
Can I drink alcohol after anti-wrinkle injections?Yes, you can drink alcohol on the evening of injections
Can I lie down after anti-wrinkle injections?Yes you can. There is no evidence to say that you can't lie down or sleep after treatment so go ahead!
Dr Brown discusses aftercare following anti-wrinkle injection and dispels a few mythshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pREGhArUAIo
Three questions to ask before having anti-wrinkle treatment
1. What Brand of anti-wrinkle treatment are you having?There are 3 brands of anti-wrinkle treatment in Australia and they vary in cost, how quickly they work and how long they last. Clinics will not always tell you which brand they are using, as people assume it is always the American Brand. We are very open at Cityskin about which brands we use - ask us on the day. The European brand starts working quicker than the well known American brand and they last for about the same time period, as long as it hasn't been diluted too much! (see below). Always ask your practitioner which brand you are receiving.
2. How much is the anti-wrinkle product diluted?Ask your injector what dilution they are using to make sure you aren't being short-changed. We always tell patients that there are 2 brands that we use at Cityskin Clinic: an American brand (the most well known brand in the world) and a European brand. This is where it starts to get confusing. We feel that you need to have 3 times as many European units to have the same effect as 1 unit of the American brand. Most clinics give patients 2.5 times as many units but at Cityskin we feel that a 2.5:1 ratio isn't strong enough and you are being short changed. We feel that the golden number that you need is 3:1.
3. Don't have 'areas' treatedIf you have easy crows feet you might only need 5-6 units each side to reduce the lines. Some clinics can treat 'areas' but you have no idea how many units you are receiving which means you may be paying much too much. At Cityskin we treat by unit rather than by area.
Facial slimming / jawline slimming in SydneyCityskin has now opened in Sydney and you can book to have facial slimming treatment with our team in Neutral Bay. We charge $550 for 50 units at Cityskin Sydney and do not charge a consultation fee.
How many units do I need to treat my jaw / masseter?We generally recommend between 20 and 35 units each side to treat the masseter muscle. Men generally need more units than women as they have stronger muscles. We will assess the muscle on the day and recommend how many units you will need.
How much does facial slimming treatment cost?The cost of the treatment is $550 for 50 units and there is no charge for a consultation so book in today!
A video guide to facial slimmingThe videos below are designed to help you understand more about facial slimming treatment. [yotuwp type="playlist" id="PLLFNBD1h623aIROqcPm4RfQOq3_r3J2SF" ]
Facial slimming before/after photosBelow are examples of facial slimming treatments performed at Cityskin clinic in Melbourne. Photos were taken before treatment and again 6 weeks later. The patient in the first photo had 70 units in total and the patients in the second and third photos had 50 units in total.
How do facial slimming injections work?The masseter muscle is the main muscle of biting and grinding. It is a strong muscle in comparison to the frown muscles or forehead. We usually perform 3 to 5 small injections of anti-wrinkle product into the masseter muscle, as shown below. The way I like to explain the mechanism of action is similar to that of putting your arm or leg into a plaster cast after a break. Preventing the muscle from contracting over a period of time weakens the muscle and reduces its size.
How painful are facial slimming injections?The injections are the least painful injections of all the treatments that we perform at the clinic. It feels like a small sting when you have an injection.
How long does facial slimming treatment take to work?Facial slimming injections take about 2 to 4 weeks to work as it takes time for the muscle to relax and reduce in size. The maximal effect will be about 8 weeks after the treatment.
How will I know when the treatment is working?We often say to patients that, before treatment when you clench your teeth, the bite muscle feels firm. Approximately 2-3 weeks after treatment the bite muscle will feel soft, a bit like a kitchen sponge. This is the point at which the muscle has been relaxed and you know that it is working.
How long do facial slimming treatments last?With the correct amount of units the treatment should last up to 6 months. When you can feel the bite muscle contracting well again we recommend coming back to have a repeat treatment.
How much experience does Cityskin have at treating facial slimming?Cityskin medical professionals are experts in facial slimming and perform hundreds of treatments per year so you can be confident that you are being treated by an experienced injector.
Will I still be able to eat after facial slimming treatment?Yes - there are other muscles that help bite and grind food. Place your fingers on the side of the head and clench your teeth - you will feel a muscle called temporalis which helps you to grind food. After jaw slimming treatment it may be more tiring to eat chewy foods.
Does facial slimming treatment work for everyone?Facial slimming treatment works best in patients who have strong bite muscles and a jawline which is not obscured by heavy lower cheeks. Treatment is on a case by case basis so feel free to book a consultation with one of our experienced medical practitioners for advice on whether jawline slimming will work for you.
Does 50 units mean 50 injections?No - a unit is a measure of anti-wrinkle product. When we treat each masseter muscle we often use 4 or 5 tiny injections of 5 units of anti-wrinkle product. The amount of units in each injection depends on the total number of units that you are having injected.
Cost of facial slimming injections at Cityskin in MelbourneWe have a special offer on jawline slimming in injections. 50 units of anti-wrinkle product costs $550.
How can I book an appointment?You can book an appointment here or call 1800 248975 to speak to one of our members of staff.
A video showing how we perform facial slimming injectionshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPmSYouqkt8
How does it feel to have facial slimming treatment at Cityskin in Melbourne?This is an account of a patient having treatment with us at Cityskin and writing about her experience: "I have hypertrophied or enlarged jaw (masseter) muscles most likely due to teeth grinding or clenching at night time and these were easily felt when clenching my teeth but also quite visible by my square or ‘chubby’ jawline. Having treated quite a few patients for this I decided that I would try the treatment myself not only to see what results were possible but to allow me to understand what happens for the patient. The procedure itself took less than 10 minutes and simply required me to clench my teeth whilst 4-5 small injections were made into the masseter muscle on each side of my lower jaw. Ice was used for comfort and the pain was minimal and I was able to return to work without any obvious signs of treatment. Over the next 3-4 weeks I noticed a narrowing of my jawline and a visibly slimmer appearance to my face. But more importantly, I have also found I have far less headaches and a less ‘tired’ jaw. Interestingly, at about the 2 week mark I did notice a small amount of difficulty in biting/chewing food but this seemed to resolve itself as quickly as it occurred and I now have no problems. With repeated treatment every 4-6 months I should notice the muscle start to atrophy (shrink) further with ongoing treatment becoming less frequent".
A patient experience of having facial slimming/jawline slimming treatment at Cityskinhttps://youtu.be/EFoYwsrEO3E
I've heard that if I have 3 facial slimming treatments it will permanently slim the jaw. Is that true?That is an urban myth which is not true. The anti-wrinkle product that we use is broken down naturally over a period of months and then muscle strength returns again. The muscle will be weaker than it was before having treatment but, with time, it will return to full strength again.
What are the risks of facial slimming treatment?Risks of facial slimming injections include:
- A small bruise after treatment: This is unlikely, however, as the jaw area is not particularly vascular.
- Difficulty grinding tough foods: The masseter muscle will weaken as a result of the injections and you may notice it being more difficult to grind food. This is not a permanent side effect.
- Affecting the smile muscle: The masseter muscle lives very close to a muscle called 'risorius', as shown by the red muscle in the picture below. Risorius is the muscle responsible for opening the mouth wide when smiling. We are very careful to avoid this muscle when injecting the masseters to avoid the smile from being affected. In the unlikely event of the smile muscle being affected it would wear off quickly with no permanent problems.
How to safely treat the masseter muscle to avoid affecting your smileAt Cityskin we perform hundreds of facial slimming injections every year. Watch Dr Brown discuss how to safely perform facial slimming treatment. https://youtu.be/hvj_ZuCWcYo
How do I book an appointment?Click on the link below to book with one of our medical experts
Related treatment - chin reshaping with dermal fillerDermal filler can be used to give the chin more of a point and to give the face the 'V' shape that patients are often looking for. Using small amounts of dermal filler (usually approximately 1.0ml) we can expertly place the product to enhance the chin. Chin dermal filler is a popular treatment in combination with facial slimming as it softens the jaw and elongates the chin.
Does dermal filler treatment to the chin hurt?It is one of the least painful areas to treat with dermal filler so patients tolerate the procedure very well. We often use numbing gel before your treatment to numb the area before injecting to further reduce discomfort
How much does chin dermal filler cost?Have a look at our costs page for the cost of 1.0ml dermal filler. There is no consultation fee at Cityskin.
Cost of dermal fillers at Cityskin in Melbourne, Adelaide & SydneyThe cost of dermal filler depends on the area treated. As a general rule you need to use thinner fillers in the lips and under the eyes and thicker fillers in the areas where you want more lift (lower face and cheeks). At Cityskin we charge from $650 for 1ml of dermal filler, depending on the filler used. At Cityskin we use the premium dermal fillers available in Australia.
Cost of anti-wrinkle injections at Cityskin in Melbourne, Adelaide & SydneyBy law, cosmetic websites in Australia are not allowed to advertise brand names which can make things a little confusing. We have 2 anti-wrinkle brands available at Cityskin. One costs $4 per unit and the other costs $12 per unit. You need 3 times as much of the $4 product to have the same effect as the $12 product so, essentially, they are the same cost. The only time that we do not charge per unit is when we treat gummy smiles - we charge a flat rate of $150 for treating this area, regardless of the number of units used.
Cost of double chin injection treatment at Cityskin in Melbourne, Adelaide & Sydney
- We charge $600 for each vial of double chin treatment at all Cityskin clinics except Cityskin Hawthorn, where Mr Koppert charges $625 per vial. At each appointment you are likely to need 2 vials so each treatment will cost from $1200 ($1250 in Hawthorn).
- We recommend at least 2 treatments to see the best results so the likely overall cost of your treatment will be from $2200.
- Please be aware that this is a guide and you may need 3 vials per treatment if you have a larger double chin.
|Number of vials||Cost|