TMJ pain and dysfunction are a common symptom – a 2002 study in Sweden showed that 6.7% of men and 12.4% of women experience pain from the temporo-mandibular joint or ‘TMJ’ as it is commonly known. The study also showed that just over 15% of men and 20% of women experience bruxism (tooth-grinding).
TMJ pain is a one of the treatments we perform most frequently at Cityskin in Melbourne. Have a read of our comprehensive guide to treatment and, when you feel comfortable, book a free consultation with one of our experienced team.
- What is the temporo-mandibular joint (TMJ)?
- How to treat TMJ pain
- How anti-wrinkle injections can help treat TMJ pain
- How many anti-wrinkle units are used to treat TMJ pain?
- How many injections will I need?
- How much does TMJ treatment cost at Cityskin Melbourne?
- How painful are TMJ injections?
- How many masseter / TMJ treatments do you perform per year?
- Are anti-wrinkle injections a permanent solution to TMJ pain?
- How much does a consultation cost at Cityskin?
- Ask the Cityskin team a question
- How do I book an appointment?
What is the temporo-mandibular joint (TMJ)?
The TMJ is shown in the Xray below. The temporo-mandibular is a hinge joint that connects the lower mandible (jaw bone) with the skull and allows the mouth to open and close.
How to treat TMJ pain
Thankfully, a large proportion of TMJ pain resolves over time, without treatment. A 2007 paper in the American Family Physician journal reported that approximately 50 % of patients improve in one year and 85 % improve completely in three years without treatment (1).
Treatment options that you can try at home to relieve the pain include:
- eating softer foods
- avoiding extreme jaw opening
- stress relieving relaxation techniques
- gentle jaw stretching
Medications that can help TMJ pain include:
- anti-inflammatory medication such as nurofen may provide short term relief from TMJ discomfort
- tricyclic anti-depressants – these can be used to treat TMJ pain and also pain from tooth grinding (bruxism)
- a fitted mouth guard / stabilisation splint can be used at night to reduce discomfort. This is often fitted by a dentist
- anti-wrinkle injections into the masseter muscle (bite muscle) and temporalis muscle can reduce TMJ pain in some patients.
How anti-wrinkle injections can help treat TMJ pain
A 2017 paper in the International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (2) looked at the effect of anti-wrinkle treatment on 77 patients with TMJ dysfunction and tension-type headache who has not had relief from a night mouth-guard and physiotherapy. The patients had both the masseter and temporalis muscles injected. Results showed that 77% of patients reported a beneficial effect from anti-wrinkle injections.
Anti-wrinkle injections are injected into the masseter muscle (the bite muscle, shown above) and into the temporalis muscle (the muscle on the side of the head).
How many anti-wrinkle units are used to treat TMJ pain?
We typically use the following units to treat TMJ pain:
- 25 units into each masseter muscle = 50 units
- 10-15 units into each temporalis muscle = 20-30 units
- Overall we use between 70 and 80 units to treat both the masseter and temporalis muscles. Individual doses can vary depending on the size and strength of the muscles
How many injections will I need?
Thankfully – 70 units does not mean 70 injections! We typically use 5 injections into each masseter muscle and 4 injections into each temporalis muscle.
How much does TMJ treatment cost at Cityskin Melbourne?
TMJ treatment at Cityskin in Melbourne costs $599 for 50 units. A ‘unit’ is a measured amount of anti-wrinkle product. This can vary depending on the strength of the muscle and your treatment may cost more or slightly.
How painful are TMJ injections?
TMJ treatment is one of the least uncomfortable treatments that we perform at Cityskin. Injections feel similar to plucking a hair or a small mozzie bite. The video below shows Dr Jonathan Brown from Cityskin treating a patient with anti-wrinkle injections into the bite muscle. The patient was having the treatment performed for tooth grinding and also to slim the jawline.
How many masseter / TMJ treatments do you perform per year?
We treat approximately 500 patients per year for tooth grinding / masseter treatment so you can be assured that you are being treated by experienced practitioners.
Are anti-wrinkle injections a permanent solution to TMJ pain?
Unfortunately, anti-wrinkle injections are not a permanent fix for temporo-mandibular jaw (TMJ) dysfunction. However, they do provide temporary relief. We tend to retreat the masseter muscle to reduce TMJ pain once the treatment has worn off.
How much does a consultation cost at Cityskin?
We do not charge for consultations at Cityskin.
Ask the Cityskin team a question
If you have a question about TMJ pain / dysfunction please message us here and we will get back to you with an answer.
How do I book an appointment?
You can book an appointment with our experienced practitioners using the button below
- Jennifer J. Buescher. Temporomandibular Joint Disorders. Am Fam Physician 2007;76:1477-82, 1483-84.
- Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017 Mar;46(3):322-327. doi: 10.1016/j.ijom.2016.11.004. Epub 2016 Nov 28.