What are they, and how do they work?
How do dermal fillers work?
Dermal fillers are injected under the skin, attracting water and producing a lifting effect over the next few days. They reduce the appearance of lines by lifting and filling the skin. Over time, the body naturally breaks down the filler.
Difference between anti-wrinkle injections and dermal fillers:
Cheek, tear trough and marionette dermal filler
Introducing dermal filler to these areas of the face lifts the cheeks, reduces the appearance of the tear trough to help provide that refreshed feeling and look.
Dermal fillers are used to reduce the appearance of nasolabial folds by softening the shadows around them. Filler in this area usually lasts around one year.
Lip dermal filler
Lip dermal filler can restore volume to the lips but can also improve lip proportions.
Types of Dermal Fillers
Full Facial Rejuvenation Dermal Filler
Hand Rejuvenation Treatment
Jawline Dermal Filler
Nasolabial Fold Treatment
Nose Dermal Filler
Aftercare for Dermal Filler
- After your treatment with Dermal Filler, you may have slight redness, swelling, tenderness or an itchy feeling at the treated area. This is normal and generally disappears in a few days.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours after your treatment. Additionally, do not expose the treated area to intense heat.
- For the next few nights avoid pressure on the treated areas and do not massage the area unless instructed by your practitioner.
- Avoid waxing, facials, peels, laser treatments and microdermabrasion for two weeks after your treatment.
- Pain relief such as Paracetamol may be taken if required.
- If you have a history of facial cold sores, dermal filler treatment may cause an outbreak. Preventative measures may be taken before and after. Preventative treatments can be found in your local pharmacy.
- Gently wash the treated area and pat dry. Avoid vigorous rubbing on the treated area.
- No make-up on the day of your treatment.
- Avoid major dental work 3-4 weeks either side of your treatment.
- Covid vaccine should not be within 2 weeks either side of your treatment.
- Avoid alcohol for 24 hours after treatment.
- Tenderness and bruising may appear at the site of injection.
Follow up advice
Your practitioner will request you book a review appointment 2 weeks after your treatment. For optimal outcomes dermal filler treatments may need to be repeated.
What are the main risks of dermal fillers?
There are a few minor risks associated with dermal filler treatment:
- Bruising at the time of treatment
- Swelling afterwards
- Puffiness in the treatment area. The tear trough area (under the eyes) is the highest risk area.
- Blue-ish discolouration if dermal filler is injected too close to the skin’s surface – known as the ‘Tyndall effect’
Additional risks such as affecting blood vessels in the treatment area, the need to dissolve filler, infection and granuloma formation may occur, however they are largely unlikely.
We minimise risks through up-to-date procedures and proper hygiene measures.
Should you experience any of the following please contact the clinic on 1800 248 975 immediately
- An increase in pain, severe pain on the treatment site or the surrounding area.
- Bruising that continues to increase after initial bruising.
- If you experience a darkening of the skin, a purple or white appearance to the skin surrounding the treatment area.
- Blisters that look like cold sores appear at the treatment site and surrounding area.
If you become unwell or are concerned about any of your signs and symptoms post treatment, please contact us on 1800 248 975. In case of emergencies please present to the Emergency department and contact 000.
Dermal fillers typically last between 6 and 18 months, depending on the type, area, and amount of filler used. We choose the appropriate dermal filler based on your desired volumising effect. Fillers with longer-lasting results are suitable for less mobile areas like cheeks, chin, nose and marionette lines.
At Cityskin, we do not use permanent dermal fillers due to safety concerns. Because we use temporary fillers, they can be dissolved if an unexpected risk or challenge occurs using a special enzyme.
While dermal filler itself does not boost collagen production, the injection process may stimulate some collagen synthesis due to the skin trauma.
Some areas of the face are more sensitive to pain during injections, such as the middle of the lip. At Cityskin, we use a Dermal filler containing a local anaesthetic (lidocaine) which numbs the area that is being injected, reducing discomfort during the injection process.
Treating decolletage lines: Decolletage lines can be reduced using soft dermal fillers to address sun damage and lost collagen. High-factor sunscreen is also recommended for further protection.
Effects on aging: Dermal filler does not age the skin over time; it improves the appearance by reducing shadows and providing hydration due to its hydrophilic nature.
The amount of dermal filler that you may need depends on the degree of volume loss or depth of the line that we are treating. We use the following approximate amounts of dermal filler for each treatment.
- Nasolabial folds– 1.0mL
- Marionette lines– 1.0 – 2.0mL
- Cheek enhancement– 1.0 – 3.0mL
- Lip enhancement– 1.0mL
- Temples– 2.0mL
- Chin– 1.0mL
However, a consultation with your clinician will determine the correct amount for your individual circumstances, as it may vary.
Our goal is to achieve your desired result by carefully placing dissolvable dermal filler. We prioritise emphasising your features rather than drastically altering your appearance. If you ever wish to reverse the effects, we can easily accommodate your request.
Book an appointment for anti-wrinkle treatment in Melbourne.
Cityskin Cosmetic Clinic Armadale
1100 High Street,
Armadale VIC 3143
Cityskin Cosmetic Clinic Balwyn
Entrance via Mangan Street.
level 3/379-381 Whitehorse Rd,
Balwyn VIC 3103
Cityskin Cosmetic Clinic Essendon
Entrance via Miller Street.
Shop G2/97 Rose Street,
Essendon VIC 3040
Cityskin Cosmetic Clinic Hawthorn
Suite 2, Level 2,
50 Burwood Road,
Hawthorn VIC 3122