Dermal fillers in Melbourne at Cityskin
- Dermal fillers are a gelatinous product found naturally in the body which help to restore volume and enhance features
- Commonest areas for dermal fillers include lips, cheeks, marionette lines and nasolabial folds
- Dermal fillers cost from $700 at Cityskin clinics in Melbourne depending on the clinic
- At Cityskin clinics in Melbourne our clinicians have, on average, over 8 years of injecting experience
How does dermal filler work?
When injected under the skin, dermal fillers attract water and over the next few days will swell slightly. This produces a lifting effect and in this way dermal filler looks better in the days after injection. Over time, dermal filler is broken down naturally by the body.
The way I like to describe dermal filler is using the analogy of a valley with a river running through it. Imagine we are placing dermal filler under the river bed to lift up the valley to make it almost flat. It is now no longer a valley but now a flat plain. If you imagine that deep lines on the face is like a valley – we place dermal filler under the skin to lift up the skin and reduce the appearance of the lines.
How long do dermal fillers last?
Dermal fillers last between 6 and 18 months depending on the type of filler used, the area being treated and the amount of filler injected. In areas of the face where there is more movement, such as the lips, dermal filler can wear off quicker.
At Cityskin in Melbourne we choose the correct dermal filler for your treatment based on how much of a volumising effect you are looking to achieve. The more volumising, longer lasting fillers are generally not used in areas where there is a lot of movement, for example the lips.
What is the difference between anti-wrinkle injections and dermal fillers?
Anti-wrinkle injections relax muscles, reducing the crumpling of the skin and in doing so softening lines. Dermal filler is placed deeper under the skin to restore lost volume and hide shadows.
Think of dermal filler as being the structural supports in a building and anti-wrinkle treatment being the plaster on the walls which provides a smooth surface.
Which areas can be treated with dermal fillers?
How much does dermal filler cost at Cityskin clinics in Melbourne?
- Dermal filler costs $700 for 1ml at all Cityskin clinics in Melburne except Cityskin Hawthorn
- Dermal filler at Cityskin Hawthorn costs from $880 depending on the filler used. Nose dermal filler treatment costs $990
- We only use premium dermal fillers at our clinics.
How much dermal filler will I need?
The amount of dermal filler that you may need depends on the degree of volume loss or depth of the line that we are treating. As a general guide we use the following amounts of dermal filler:
- Nasolabial folds – 1.0ml
- Marionette lines – 1.0 – 2.0ml
- Cheek enhancement – 1.0 – 3.0ml
- Lip enhancement – 1.0ml
- Temples – 2.0ml
- Chin – 1.0ml
We work with you to get the result that you are looking for and take our time to make sure you are happy with the result. Most people want to emphasise features rather than change their appearance and we aim to do this with careful placement of dermal filler. The dermal filler is dissolvable so if you want the effects reversed this can be done for you.
Liquid facelift with dermal fillers
What are the main risks of dermal fillers?
The main risks of dermal filler include:
- Bruising at the time of treatment
- Swelling afterwards
- Puffiness in the area of treatment. The tear trough area (under the eyes) is the highest risk area of this
- Blue-ish discolouration if dermal filler is injected too superficially – known as the ‘Tyndall effect’
Unlikely risks include affecting blood vessels in the area of treatment, the need to dissolve filler, infection and granuloma formation.
We minimise risk by making sure we are up to date with the latest procedures and also cleaning the skin with an anti-septic (chlorhexidine or betadine) prior to treatment. The risk of bruising is reduced by using a cannula to deliver the dermal filler into the appropriate area.
Dr Brown discusses the risks of dermal filler treatments in the video below
What does dermal filler look like?
Dermal fillers are clear and feel gelatinous. They vary from thin dermal fillers which flow easily from the tip of the needle to thicker fillers which are firmer. Generally speaking the thicker the dermal filler the longer it lasts and the more lift it provides. We have to be careful to place thicker dermal fillers deep under the skin to avoid causing small lumps and bumps.
Thicker dermal fillers are more often used in cheeks, marionette lines, chins and in the jowl area. Thinner fillers are more often used to treat fine lines around the mouth and in the lips where we want a nice, smooth spread of the filler without overfilling. The video below shows Dr Brown showing 1ml of filler in a vial.
Dermal filler before / after photos
Dermal filler before / after photos
The patients below have all had dermal filler treatment at Cityskin. Please note that results can vary.
Nose dermal fillers
The patient below has had nose dermal filler treatment with Dr Erik Koppert in Hawthorn. A small amount of filler was used to reduce the bump on the bridge of the nose.
Cheek, tear trough and marionette dermal filler
In the photo below our patient has had 1.0ml of dermal filler to each cheek and 0.5ml to each marionette line. This has lifted the cheeks, reduced the appearance of the tear trough, giving a rejuvenated appearance
Our second patient, in her late 50s has again had 1ml dermal filler to each cheek. This has restored volume to the cheeks whilst keeping a natural look. You can also see that our patient has had anti-wrinkle treatment to the frown and forehead to reduce the lines.
Our patient is in his early 30s and wanted to reduce the appearance of the nasolabial folds. Dermal filler has been used in threads to the area to soften the shadow of the nasolabial fold. The dermal filler will last approximately 1 year.
Lip dermal filler before/after photos
Lip dermal filler can restore volume to the lips but can also improve lip proportions. The patients below vary in age from mid 20s to mid 50s.
Dermal filler FAQs
Do you use permanent dermal fillers?
At Cityskin we do not use permanent dermal fillers. We feel that permanent dermal filler is unsafe. The dermal filler that we use at Cityskin can be dissolved using a special enzyme.
Are dermal fillers painful?
Dermal fillers contain local anaesthetic which numbs the area that is being injected. Some areas of the face are more sensitive such as the middle of the lip. At Cityskin we use the more expensive dermal filler containing lidocaine- a local anaesthetic which can reduce discomfort.
Do dermal fillers cause collagen production?
Dermal filler does not boost collagen production itself. It is made of a substance, which we cannot name ingredients, due to regulations, that adds volume under the skin. Collagen production as a result of dermal filler injections may stimulate a small amount of collagen synthesis due the trauma caused from the needle, or the cannula entering the skin.
Can I treat decolletage lines with dermal fillers?
Decolletage lines are the result of sun exposure over time, skin laxity and loss of collagen. Decolletage lines are difficult to treat but can be reduced using dermal fillers.
To treat decolletage lines we need to reduce the appearance of sun damage and replace lost collagen. Anti-wrinkle injections do not work in this area. To reduce decolletage lines we recommend:
- Laser treatment – Fraxel laser is my favourite in the decolletage area as it reduces lines and pigmentation. We do not offer Fraxel at Cityskin but a simple Google search will show clinics in your area that offer this laser treatment.
- A soft dermal filler. Some of the chest wall lines can be reduced by using a soft dermal filler. We have to use soft dermal fillers because the skin on the chest wall is thin and you don’t want to see lumps and bumps after treatment. Softer dermal fillers last for about 6 months and you may need 2-3ml to reduce the apperance of the lines. As mentioned earlier – chest wall lines are hard to treat so please don’t expect to get rid of the lines entirely.
- High factor sunscreen. We always recommend wearing a high factor sunscreen (50+) to prevent further wrinkles and sun damage in the chest area.
Does dermal filler age the skin over time?
Dermal filler does not age the skin over time – if anything it can improve the appearance of the skin. Dermal fillers are placed under the skin to reduce shadows and replace lost volume which occurs naturally as we age.
Dermal filler is found naturally in the body and is hydrophilic i,e it attracts water. This can help provide some extra hydration to the skin and prevent ageing.