Having read our guide you will be able to book a treatment for double chin treatment at Cityskin with one of our medical experts and permanently remove that stubborn double chin fat. No more hiding the neck with scarves, no more tilting your head up when having your photo taken.
Cityskin is one of Australia’s leading clinics for double chin treatment. We have medical experts at all our locations who are experienced in double chin injections.
You can book a free consultation here for double chin treatment at Cityskin clinics in Melbourne, Sydney & Adelaide.
Please note that, by Australian law, we are not allowed to use the product brand name on our website.
Double chin fat injections / treatment – how does it work? Does it dissolve fat under the chin?
The double chin injections contain an acid, found naturally in the body, and helps absorb fat in food. The product is injected into the fat in the double chin area and permanently destroys the fat cells by a process known as adipocytolysis. Once the fat cells have been destroyed they cannot store fat again. Imagine your fat cells are balloons and double chin injections are darts. Injecting the product under the chin is like throwing a dart at fat cells. Once they have been popped they cannot be blown up again.
10 key things you need to know about permanent double chin treatment at Cityskin in Melbourne and Sydney
We will cover each of these points in more detail below, but the burning questions that you need answering are:
- What is the name of the product? – The product has different names in the USA and Australia but it is essentially the same product. Frustratingly, we are not allowed to mention the name of the product on the website due to Australian law. We have to call it ‘double chin injections’ instead of using the actual brand name.
- Are double chin injections painful? – We are now using local anaesthetic to numb the double chin area before treatment. This means that, after injecting local anaesthetic, you will barely feel the double chin injections. After injection the area can feel firm and a little tender but patients often use panadol and ice to reduce this discomfort.
- Are double chin injections safe? – Yes. It is a non surgical treatment with an acceptable side effect profile.
- Does the product permanently remove double chin fat? Yes – double chin injections permanently destroys double chin fat. Once the fat cells have been destroyed they will never return.
- Am I guaranteed to see results? – 68.2% of patients noticed at least a 1 grade or more improvement in the fullness of their double chin area (see scale below) and 16% of patients noticed a 2 grade or more improvement in double chin fullness.
- How many vials do I need to treat my double chin? – The average patient needs at least 2 vials injected into the double chin fat at each treatment.
- How many treatments will I need? – We recommend at least 2 treatments of at least 2 vials to see results.
- How much do double chin injections / fat dissolving injections cost? – At Cityskin clinics in Melbourne, Adelaide & Sydney the cost is $600 per vial. Mr Koppert at Cityskin Kew charges $625 per vial.
- Will I see results straight away? – No, it takes up to 6 weeks for you to notice the effects. We treat patients at 6 week intervals.
- What are the main side effects of double chin injections? – We expect swelling around the treatment area on the day. We like swelling because it means the treatment is working. In fact, we say please call us if it does not swell! Swelling means that the body is destroying fat cells. This also means we recommend icing the skin and resting at home after treatment rather than going back to work.
A guide to permanent double chin treatment by Dr Jonathan Brown at Cityskin
Dr Brown from Cityskin gives a 2 minute guide to double chin treatment at Cityskin. Watch the video to get a better understanding of what the treatment involves and how much the treatment is likely to cost.
How many vials am I likely to need for my treatment?
This is one of the most common questions that we are asked by patients enquiring about double chin injections. The video below shows Dr Brown from Cityskin discussing how many vials you are likely to need for your treatment using handy objects for size comparison!
The video above shows the how large an area 1 vial, 2 vials and 3 vials can treat. You can do the ‘pinch test’ in-front of the mirror to estimate how many vials you might need. The fullness under the chin that we can treat is where you can pinch a little finger’s width of fat between your finger.
1 vial of double chin injections will approximately treat the area of a 50 cent coin. A small number of patients fall into this category.
2 vials of double chin injections is approximately the same area as a packet of chewing gum. Most patients fall into this category.
3 vials of double chin injections is approximately the same width as a Myki or credit card.
Cityskin patient double chin treatment photos
The photos below shows Cityskin patients having double chin treatment at Cityskin in Melbourne. The photos below show the patient before treatment and 6 weeks after her first treatment. Already you can see a reduction in the double chin and we expect to see more improvement over the next few weeks. Please note that results can vary.
Cityskin model patient 1: 2 vials, 2 treatments
This is the first model patient that we treated at Cityskin. She has had 2 vials in 2 seperate treatments. Treatments were 6 weeks apart. The double chin has reduced and it is no longer visible on the front-on view. The patient was delighted with this result. Please note that results can vary.
Cityskin model patient 2: 2 vials and only 1 treatment
This is our second model and results are shown 6 weeks after 1 treatment.
Cityskin patient 3: 1 vial, 1 treatment
The patient below has had 1 treatment with 1 vial to achieve a reduction in sub-mental fat. Photos were taken 6 weeks after the first treatment
Cityskin patient 4: 1 vial, 1 treatment
This patient’s photos were taken 6 weeks after 1 vial of double chin treatment. She will have a further 2 treatments to reduce the double chin further.
Cityskin patient 5: Photos taken 6 weeks after treatment with 2 vials
Patient 6: 1 treatment with 1 vial
This patient had very minimal submental fullness so we elected to treat with just 1 vial of double chin injections. Photos were taken 6 weeks after treatment and show a reduced double chin.
Patient 7: 1 treatment with 1 vial
This patient is in her 20s and had 1 treatment with 1 vial. She will have a second treatment but it shows the results that can be achieved with only one treatment.
How much do double chin injections / fat dissolving injections cost at Cityskin?
- At Cityskin clinics in Melbourne and Sydney (except Kew) we charge $600 for each vial of product*.
- *Mr Koppert in Kew charges $625 per vial of product.
- We recommend using at least 2 vials of product at each appointment, so the cost at each treatment will be from $1200*.
- We recommend at least 2 treatments to see the best results so the overall cost of your treatment will be from $2400*.
- Please be aware that this is a guide and you may need 3 vials per treatment if you have a larger double chin.
This can be slightly confusing so we have provided a table, shown below, to show the cost of a female patient with a mild to moderate double chin having a full treatment. Mr Koppert in Kew charges $625 per vial / $1250 for 2 vials.
|Number of vials of product||Cost|
Total cost = $2400.
Please note that this is a guide and the cost may be higher if you need 3 vials per treatment or more than 2 treatments.
How do I book a free consultation?
Book an appointment at Cityskin using the link below. We offer this permanent double chin treatment in the following
Double chin treatment at Cityskin
Our model, Emma, gives her experience of having double chin treatment at Cityskin. Emma is 26 and was keen to reduce the fullness under her chin. The treatment took approximately 2 minutes once the local anaesthetic has taken effect. Watch Emma’s initial consultation and treatment below.
Which patients are best suited for treatment?
The treatment guide below shows a grading scale for double chin fat, also known as ‘sub-mental fat’. It ranges from 0 (no localised sub-mental fat) to 4 (extreme submental convexity). The ideal patient for would be someone who is a ‘2’ or ‘3’ on sub-mental scale, so someone with moderate to severe sub-mental fullness.
Who is not suitable for double chin injections?
- If you have no sub-mental fat (‘0′ on the scale above’) then double chin injections is not suitable for you.
- If you have a lot of loose skin under the chin then double chin injections may not be effective.
- If you have an active infection of the skin under the chin then you cannot have treatment.
How are double chin treatment performed? What happens on the day? Watch Dr Brown treating a patient in the video below
In this video, Dr Brown performs a double chin treatment at Cityskin. ****Please note that we have changed our technique and can offer local anaesthetic before treatment rather than numbing gel and ice***
To treat submental fat with we place a non permanent template on the skin (see photo above) and apply water. This leaves small dots on the skin as a guide for where to inject. Local anaesthetic can be injected to make the area numb. The treatment requires approximately 20 small injections into the dots provided above.
How do I book a free consultation?
Book an appointment at Cityskin using the link below.
How many treatments do you need?
We recommend at least 2 treatments in order to see results. Some patients need up to 4 treatments to see full results. The number of treatments that you need depends largely on the amount of fullness that you have under the chin. These treatments are usually placed around 6 weeks apart.
Related treatments at Cityskin
What are the side effects of double chin injections?
The vast majority of side effects from double chin injection treatment are mild and not permanent. Studies show that with each treatment side effects occur less frequently and to a lesser degree.
The most common side effect we see after treatment are as follows:
Swelling around the area injected – We expect to see swelling. It means the treatment is working! In fact, we say please call us if it does not swell. We recommend not going back to work on the day of treatment and using ice on the neck intermittently in the hours after treatment.
Temporary numbness under the chin. Approximately 50% of patients will feel this slight numbness after treatment, with symptoms wearing off after 30 days on average.
Warmth and redness – 40% of patients will feel warmth or redness under the chin on the day of treatment.
Firmess under the chin – Studies show that 16% of patients will feel firmness or ‘induration’ under the skin after treatment. This is not a worrying symptom and resolves, on average, after 51 days according to studies.
Rarer side effects such as temporary problems with weak smile and facial muscles and trouble swallowing (2%) have been reported.
The risk of affecting the smile is due to the small chance of temporarily affecting the marginal branch of the facial nerve. The anatomy of the nerves in the face differs from person to person and in 2% of treatments a small branch of the facial nerve can be affected. This would present as a temporary problem with the smile muscle (see image below). The affected side would be more difficult to perform a full smile. The problem is temporary and the average time to resolve is 44 days.
How much swelling occurs after treatment?
The photo below shows the swelling that occurred 20 minutes after double chin injections at Cityskin. The patient received 2 vials of product and 3ml of local anaesthetic. The amount of swelling that occurs can vary but this is a good representation of how much swelling you will see with 2 vials.
A video showing the swelling after double chin injections
The video below shows a patient who has had 2 vials of double chin treatment at Cityskin clinic. The video and pictures were taken before and then 20 minutes after treatment.
Are double chin injections painful?
A number of small injections using tiny needles are made into the double chin area. We use local anaesthetic to numb the double chin area before injection. This means that when we treat the area with the double chin injections you can barely feel it. After an hour or so, when the local anaesthetic wears off, it can feel fuller under the chin and you may feel a slight ache. We recommend using panadol and icing the area to reduce the discomfort. Remember not to leave the ice on the skin for more than 10 seconds at a time to reduce the risk of a cold burn.
How effective are double chin injections?
The website ‘Realself.com’ allows patients to give a thumbs up or thumbs down for the treatment. 88% of patients having having the treatment gave it a ‘thumbs up’.
Are double chin injections safe in pregnancy and breastfeeding?
We do not recommend double chin treatment in pregnancy or when breastfeeding.
When are double chin injections available in Australia?
Double chin treatment has been available in Australia since March 2017. Book a free consultation here.
Where do you have clinics?
We offer double chin injections at clinics across Melbourne in Sydney & Adelaide. The table below shows which practitioners offer double chin treatments.
How do I book an appointment?
Lessons learn from 18 months of treating patients with double chin injections at Cityskin